Our History

Established in 1895 Ranger’s Furnishing Stores is one of Farnham’s oldest family run businesses.

Rangers 1895 Shop Front

Originally the shop at 105 West Street was a pawn brokers owned by a Mr. H Loveless but in 1895 Ernest JJ Ranger moved from East London to Farnham and bought 105 & 106 West Street together.

To start with Ernest Ranger continued to use the shop as a pawn broker but seeing a great need in Farnham, at the turn of the new century, for a home furnishers he branched out into selling goods such as chairs, tables, chest of drawers, toilet sets and even carpets and rugs. From this Ranger’s Furnishing Stores was born.

Ranger’s made claim to being the ‘long established and cheapest’ furniture store in Farnham. The residents of Farnham and it’s surrounding villages agreed and Ranger’s soon became an integral part of the town High Street.

As the shop in Farnham prospered, Ernest was able to open further branches in both neighbouring Aldershot and Farnborough.

Before long Ernestwas joined in the business by his son-in-law William Ayling. Together they         continued to manage the shop throughout the changing world of the early 1900’s. The pawn broking arm of the business was eventually closed and Ranger’s established a reputation for fine quality upholstery and occasional furniture - all made either on siteor by one of Britain’s thriving furniture manufacturers.

In 1925RobertAyling - eldest son of William joined the business to work alongside his Grandfather and father. Robert was soon to branch out and open the Ranger’s Drapery at 102 West Street and many remember his unusual habit of measuring out yards of material using his walking stick - which was never quite a yard long!

After the death of Ernest Ranger in 1943 and his dis-charge from the Army, Raymond Kirk joined Ranger’s Furnishing Stores as a Partner. Raymond was the husband of Margret Ayling, or ‘Binny’ as she was better known, the daughter of William and the sister of Robert.

The years after the war saw a re-developing Britain and Ranger’s Furnishing Stores grew in size. The shop was extended at the back which gave room to display an ever growing range of home furnishings.

Brands that still exist today like Parker Knoll and Staples and Buoyant were available for customers to view and try in the shop even then.

In 1973 a young James Kirk joined the shop to work with his father Ray. Having worked at Habitat in Guildford, James brought a new vitality to the business and soon Ranger’s was selling furniture that appealed to all ages of customer. The flooring department, meanwhile, saw a boost with the introduction of fitted carpets whilst Ranger’s continued to run a strong line of upholstery supplies and accessories. 

In 1995 Ranger’s celebrated it’s centenary with a year of celebrations and promotions in partnership with our best and oldest suppliers such as Axminster, Cintique and Stag.

After the death of Raymond Kirk in 2009 his grandson Tom left his job in the City of London and came to join his father James as a partner in the business.

Ranger’s has remained a traditional furniture shop for the last 120 years - we even still use the same till that Ernest Ranger bought in 1895 from NCR!

We have grown and developed with the needs of our customers, without whom we would be nothing, and we will continue to grow and offer our customers unrivalled service and the best British furniture                                               products for many years to come.